View Full Version : You just gotta love...

Eric H
04-06-2007, 06:50 PM
The professional Color conversion job done to this poor set! :whip:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1948-Philco-Combo-TV-Radio-Streamline-Exceptional-NR_W0QQitemZ180104370057QQihZ008QQcategoryZ63564QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Sandy G
04-06-2007, 07:09 PM
"Some people are alive only because it is illegal to kill them"...Those who would do such to an innocent TV are in that group....

Adam
04-06-2007, 07:33 PM
:thumbsdn: :yuck: :puke: But at least it looks like the original tv chassis is still there, maybe this one can be salvaged with another crt.

Sandy G
04-06-2007, 07:36 PM
Ahhh, still, the stoopit SOB oughta be shot...<grin>

peverett
04-06-2007, 10:53 PM
Once, at a local antique show, I saw an antique console radio where someone had very poorly cut a square hole in the side and inserted a modern tape player (I forget if it was cassette or 8 track). They were asking $90 for the monstrosity. I told them that the radio was not worth anywhere near the asking price, destroyed as it was, and had been worth much in original condition.

They did not like the comment, but it was the truth and hopefully saved some radios (and possibly TVs) later on. It was still unsold when I left the show.

David Roper
04-06-2007, 11:00 PM
The world is full of such clods. If it weren't, these sets wouldn't have become scarce in the first place.

Charlie
04-06-2007, 11:53 PM
Wow... I just started laughing when I saw the pic of the inside... now that's a professional job! Oh well... it should sound good with that "piano like" finish. :)

Adam
04-07-2007, 12:27 AM
Any guesses what that junk is inbetween the chassis and the new set? At first I thought it was just wadded up paper, but now I'm thinking that it might be that expanding foam that comes in spray cans.

Thyratron
04-07-2007, 01:00 AM
It looks like bunched-up t-shirts!

blue_lateral
04-07-2007, 11:20 PM
Yeech.

John Marinello
04-08-2007, 09:27 AM
I asked the seller this question:

Do you have the original TV + other parts that were removed from this? If not, I'm afraid you've depreciated this set profoundly.

Seller's response:

no I don't, and yes I know. I am sell it as is, a cabinet and a record player.
thank you for your interest.

"cabinet and a record player"? No color TV? Does the seller expect us to find another color TV that fits in there as perfectly as the one pictured??
Maybe seller will compromise and include the "dirty laundry" he has crammed around the existing set?

:wtf:

Big Dave
04-08-2007, 11:53 AM
I love this like I love athlete's foot. This is just like a bad act on The Gong Show. I gong this, and would use the seller's head as the gong.

Charlie
04-08-2007, 11:58 AM
Ya know, it never really occurred to me to look at the price he was asking till just now (I was focusing more on the insides) ... He's starting the bid at 188 and BIN for 599??? Wow this dude is really whacked out! Perhaps he could throw in a free fish tank with the deal! :yes:

wa2ise
04-08-2007, 03:25 PM
Well, with NTSC soon shutting down, I'd rather have placed a VGA monitor there instead of a TV. And drive it from a Samsung ATSC tuner (that has a VGA output connector).

(Running, ducking for cover....) :nono:

pearsonk
04-08-2007, 07:16 PM
I am currently restoring this same set and desperately need the flyback. Notice the flyback is missing in his pics --just what I need...............

Eric H
04-08-2007, 07:19 PM
I've always thought this is one of the most beautiful console designs of the era and would make room for one if I ever found a really clean one.

This set isn't beyond hope if someone had a chassis for it but the asking price is too high for it's current condition IMO.

grayga
04-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Flame Crotch Mahogany - sounds funny - like something to do with Lindsay Lohan!

Tony V
04-09-2007, 11:22 PM
I have one like this (without the hackjob) that i picked up 6 months ago. I lucked out as i only paid $25 for it. I powered it up slowly with a variac and believe it or not everything still worked. I moved this to the front of my list of ones to be restored. Cool thing about this combo is that its not any bigger than a regular radio/record player combo of its day except for the fact that its just a tad deeper. This seller has to be out of his mind. Luckily he didnt do anything that cant be reversed but at that price who wants it?
-Tony

Charlie
04-10-2007, 12:37 AM
I powered it up slowly with a variac and believe it or not everything still worked. -Tony

Tony, that's great! At least you know that once you start replacing caps, what you already have can only get better! :yes:

fujifrontier
04-11-2007, 08:45 AM
Flame Crotch Mahogany - sounds funny - like something to do with Lindsay Lohan!
thats funny, that's precisely what I thought but i wasnt going to bring her up

Dan Starnes
04-14-2007, 02:32 PM
Poor ole tv
Dan

Einar72
04-14-2007, 08:26 PM
Weren't some other AK'ers really hot-to-trot for some imported-brand color TV a few weeks back? Here's the chance to own a cheesy :thumbsdn: import AND a fine, old Philco :thmbsp: all at once. See how fate hands you a two-fer when you least expect it?