View Full Version : crt help

radotvguy
04-03-2007, 06:48 AM
hey guys , I hope someone can stear me in the right direction . I have a magnavox color console with a round screen tube . The tube has a lot of cataracs and well as a lot of dampness stains from sitting in a basement for 30years .Anyhow i got the sound and the screen working . The crt was a bit weak so i rejuvinated two of the guns with my beltron crt unit . The guns came back up . The vertical was not holding and i found a bad capacitor which i changed as well as the vertical tube . But i dont have a lot of knowledge with these color sets yet , i mostly did radios and a few black and whites in the past . The tube i believe has a short becuase there is a internal small every couple of minutes . I have a replacement picture for it however my question is , i wanted to know is there a good manuel you guys recommend which will take me step by step in replaceing the crt ???

radotvguy
04-03-2007, 07:10 AM
i meant a internal spark every couple of minutes . Sorry .

bgadow
04-03-2007, 12:38 PM
I'm not familiar with the Beltron in particular, but it should have a provision for removing shorts. I would try that.

The old RCA Color Pict-O-Guides are handy. They are geared towards RCA, of course, and the ones I have seen were older than this set, but they still give some good tips. Shouldn't be too hard to find on ebay. Not really that hard to replace a crt, provided you have a replacement! Generally, pull the chassis, put the cabinet face down on some padding, unbolt the crt, etc.

RCAkid
04-03-2007, 01:36 PM
Just a quick note that if you do replace the CRT, be sure to discharge the anode or you are likely to get a nasty shock and possibly end up dropping the CRT....not a pretty sight. Typically you would only need to do this once, but I have heard of CRT's building up a charge a few times after the initial discharge.

I had a 25BP22A that I picked up and rested it on my stomach as I was carrying it, unfortunately the anode end was toward my stomach and I got zapped right through my shirt. It is a wonder I didn't drop the CRT. I probably would have dropped it if I didn't have a thick shirt on.

Be very careful with handling the CRT. While they are relatively sturdy when in place, they are quite fragile and are under a great deal of pressure.

Changing a CRT is relatively easy, just please be careful and observe proper safety precautions and try not to rush.

Chad Hauris
04-03-2007, 08:28 PM
The CRT WILL build up a charge on its own after the first discharge...when handling one I always make sure it's discharged again right before picking it up.
I would double check that the CRT ground strap is connected properly...have had some problems on round sets with arcing when the ground spring got a little rusty and started making poor contact.
It seems like usually in the case of a shorted CRT the internal arcing is constant. Sometimes very gentle tapping on the CRT neck can help dislodge foreign material which is leading to internal arcing.

reeferman
04-03-2007, 09:54 PM
I can walk you through it. Send me a PM if interrested.

Phil

radotvguy
04-04-2007, 01:45 PM
thanks guys . My main issue was setting up purity and convergence . Never did a color set before . Made adjustments here and there over the years , but never replaced a color tube . This will be my first one . So its ganna be a learning proccess i guess .