View Full Version : Flyback for an RCA 8-PT-7030

fsjonsey
04-02-2007, 04:55 PM
I was attemting to repair one of the solder lugs on the flyback cage and my soldering iron practally vaporized one of the hairlike copper transformer leads. So, now i am in the need of another flyback. I was wondering if i could substitute a similar flyback transformer from another B/W set of a similar screen size, or a more modern one from a solid state tv. I really want to get this set working. I completely recapped the chassis, and then this happens. Ugh.

Phil Nelson
04-02-2007, 11:22 PM
Is there no way to c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y dig out or peel back enough of the wire stub to solder on a new lead? I broke a hair-thin flyback lead on my Predicta while cleaning in that area. It was a big pain in the keister, but I was able to fix it.

Just an idea . . . replacement flybacks are not always easy to find.

Phil Nelson

fsjonsey
04-03-2007, 12:19 AM
I've never seen a soldering iron do that before. It actually vaporized the wire, down to the point that it was down in the bobbin, under the paper and wax.

Einar72
04-05-2007, 09:34 PM
Was there any leakage from the soldering iron? An un-grounded iron can be nearly at power-line "hot" voltage due to an internal short. Plenty of current available to make your flyback wire act like a flash-bulb! Of course, there would have to be a path to ground somehow, like a grounded bench-top or frame...

Eric H
04-05-2007, 09:36 PM
I still need to dig out the spare chassis I have and see how it looks.

fsjonsey
04-07-2007, 02:44 PM
Thanks. I appreciate all the help.