View Full Version : For all you Dumont fans...

Carmine
03-29-2007, 04:42 PM
Cool looking set:

http://cgi.ebay.com/great-1966-DuMont-Touraine-II-25-inch-Color-TV-works_W0QQitemZ230110957536QQcategoryZ73374QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem

radotvguy
03-30-2007, 08:53 AM
wow , thats 40 mins from me . Thats a high starting price though i think . Usually in this area i seem to find most people dont pay much for the old tvs . It should be interesting to see the outcome .

jpdylon
03-30-2007, 09:49 AM
Considering the rarity of Dumont sets --especially color ones, the overall condition of the set, and the fact that it powers up and displays a picture, I think that Harry will get his asking price. Have you ever seen any junk from him?

Not yet.

bgadow
03-30-2007, 11:59 AM
Wow, another never-sold DuMont! This was a nice set to just sit around unsold for all those years. Same basic chassis as the one I have. These are capable of decent performance but are "buggy".

RCAkid
03-30-2007, 12:29 PM
Wow, this is a really cool set.

Looking at the chassis, the main portion reminds me a lot of an RCA ctc-38. The positioning of the screen controls, the layout of the tranformers, etc. But in true DuMont fashion, it seems they took that chassis and overbuilt it which is probably why it is still "running." Another RCA tell tale seems to be the convergence board. The mount, board itself, etc, is identical to typical RCA convergence boards. Although it is possible if not probably that this board was shared by manufacturers.

The yoke assembly looks oddly Sylvania like to me as well. I wonder if in the late time frame of the company, R & D money was dwindling.

Man, I would love to get a color DuMont. So rare.

Einar72
03-30-2007, 01:29 PM
Back in 1981, I tried to align a late tube-chassis Emerson, when one of the naked half-bobbin IF coils crumbled like bacon into little pieces, cooked to death by a too-nearby tube. It was one that the boss had to special order, and he was not one bit happy about it. He was already mad because his soon to be ex-wife had taken it in trade for a nice Zenith. I'm wondering if this is a cousin of that set. I think by the time this eBay item was built, Emerson (owner of the DuMont brand since about 1956) was nearing the end. I saw several (non-RCA) color chassis that looked alike in various-branded sets back then. Maybe one of the NY-NJ AK'ers could visit the Chamber of Commerce to see when the Jersey plant closed.

I don't know who, if anyone, ended up with the DuMont brand, but by the time Emerson's logo began appearing on all manner of imported junk, the Dumont brand was nowhere to be seen, at least out my way. Yes, I am a devout fan of DuMont products, just not the Emerson stuff. I still miss my RA-113 combo and RA-112 console. I still think my RA-109 is the best-engineered TV of the B&W era. Too bad Allen DuMont's OWN color designs never made it to market.

bgadow
03-30-2007, 03:19 PM
These sets are just rebadged Emersons. They are kinda odd in design. That vertical chassis on the left isn't too bad of an idea but not as good as it could have been. At the time the company was owned by National Union, the old tube company, but I don't know that they still made any tubes at that time. Mine uses mostly Japanese made tubes, with a Sylvania crt. 1970 was the end of the road for them making their own sets. They sued "Japan, Inc" for unfair trade practices and shuttered the plant. There were still DuMont & Emerson TV sets but they were rebadged Admirals or were imported. Something happened in the mid-seventies and it seems the names got seperated.

RCAkid
03-30-2007, 05:05 PM
It is a shame to see what happend to DuMont/Emerson.

I was lucky enough to pick up a DuMont RA-108 tv/phono combo and it is just built like a tank and still works. Just amazing.

It seems to me that this stuff was pretty top notch in its day. The sound from this combo is incredible even before restoration.

So much innovation and character just went by the wayside when the television stopped being a piece of furniture and a center in the home to just another appliance, no more special than the microwave or fridge, etc.

Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong era. But then again, if I was, I wouldn't get to fix all these cool old sets with reliable, modern components. :D

jleon92f
03-31-2007, 07:26 AM
Good morning,

Wow this looks like my 1st TV, B&W of course.:scratch2:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Dumont-Television-TV_W0QQitemZ190097884824QQcategoryZ3638QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The good old days...
John.:music:

radotvguy
04-03-2007, 11:26 AM
Considering the rarity of Dumont sets --especially color ones, the overall condition of the set, and the fact that it powers up and displays a picture, I think that Harry will get his asking price. Have you ever seen any junk from him?

Not yet.
Looks like the dumont didnt sell . Yes i have seen some stuff from harry and actually spoke to him several times . He is a very nice man . I think he gets his stuff from local antique dealers . The reason i say that is they all seem to know him well . I do have to admit , he comes across some nice stuff and a few people i know that bought stuff off of him , speak highly of him .