View Full Version : Somebody stop this tragedy.

kbmuri
03-27-2007, 06:47 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110105483416

It's a little too far away for me. Lovely set, very clean, doomed otherwise

Manitoulin
03-27-2007, 07:25 PM
Be a shame to see it trashed. It happens all too often, though.

trinescope
03-27-2007, 08:18 PM
Looks like I'll be picking this one up next week.

Sandy G
03-27-2007, 08:48 PM
You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown...<grin>

Manitoulin
03-27-2007, 09:03 PM
Looks like I'll be picking this one up next week.

Good for you!

Tubejunke
03-27-2007, 11:49 PM
Hard to believe someone would even consider parting out one of these old RCA's. This is the same as the set that I recently restored only mine has doors. Sure wish I could have found THIS deal! My girlfriend paid $40 for the set with a fried power transformer. I paid $35 for a replacement trans. along with probably another $30 worth of capacitors. No regrets really. Even if I had found this deal I would have not had the heart to rob the transformer. I'm glad that someone else has room for and hopefully will enjoy this set...

kbmuri
03-29-2007, 12:05 PM
Sorry I let you down, tubejunke. I only found the eBay ad when it had an hour left, so there wasn't much warning. It was in "Radio parts" category, not Vintage TV, so I just happened across it, searching for something else.

I recently bought for 9 bucks a complete tube set and misc parts on eBay for a Capehart 325 from Colorado. The schmuck stripped and dumpstered the chassis and cabinet. Y'all have seen my 325M and heard of a couple others here. Turns out the Colorado set was a super-rare 325AF which was a mild upgrade to the 325M (one of the parts I got was the back door, with the model-number sticker still attached). Bigger screen and fancier brass and more ornate cabinetry. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he dumpstered the only survivor. Missed it by THAT much.

Some people shouldn't be given tools. Would have paid the guy hundreds for the set, instead of 9 bucks for what little he could pry off with a screwdriver.

Thanks, trinescope, for saving the RCA. Very cool set I would have loved to go get and restore. Please have fun with it.

- Kirk

Carmine
03-29-2007, 03:29 PM
"Two unmarked silver tubes,and something yellow that says Made In USA 20 K VOL M940173-3 MMF 134 938."

http://i9.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/93/98/9ac5_1.JPG

Say what ya will about the guy, he's obviously an electronic genius to so quickly spot the unmarked silver tubes and hard-to-find yellow thing. :thmbsp:

gadget73
03-29-2007, 03:54 PM
I need a yellow thing. Anyone know of a good supplier for yellow things online? Google turns up lots of unrelated stuff :D

Carmine
03-29-2007, 04:02 PM
Are you getting the good made-in-USA yellow things, or just cheaping-out with the made in China yellow things?

trinescope
03-29-2007, 06:52 PM
Well I told the seller I was going to pick up the entire TV; I'll have to see what's up when I get there in a few days. I'll also see if I can find out why he was parting out the set instead of selling the whole thing. I'm not going to be too hard on the guy, though, as he probably didn't want to hassle with shipping an old TV (I wouldn't want to either, but then again, I wouldn't have parted it out unless it was junk). He seemed to be an alright guy judging from his e-mails.

I'll be up in the Chicago area next week picking up this set, a Zenith rectangular tube color set from our own drh0483, and a 1953 21" Dumont that I left at my parents' house when I moved to TX seven years ago. It'll take a bit of time for me to get the money to order the dozens of capacitors it'll take to get this old RCA up and running (assuming the CRT and other major parts are good). The Dumont I recapped about eight years ago and works, but has weird horizontal linearity problems I could never get resolved. I'll be sure to post pictures of the RCA when I get it down here. BTW, I restored one of these KCS-34 sets for someone when I was still living in the Chicago area (it was a sentimental thing for the set's owner; it was her parents' TV, and she grew up with it). It was like the one I won on Ebay, but had doors in front of the screen. I was quite amazed by the picture quality when I got done with it.

Tubejunke
03-29-2007, 10:53 PM
Say what ya will about the guy, he's obviously an electronic genius to so quickly spot the unmarked silver tubes and hard-to-find yellow thing. :thmbsp:

I thought that the "yellow things" were kind of hard to find.......:scratch2:

fujifrontier
04-09-2007, 07:06 PM
what about a 21-t639