View Full Version : big RCA rectangular color combo on LA craigslist

Adam
03-11-2007, 09:22 AM
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/clt/290657977.html

jpdylon
03-11-2007, 11:44 AM
Unfortunately this seller has been trying to rid himself of this set for a long time --at way too much money.

I talked to him about the condition of the TV. He says the TV portion is dead. When he powered it up there was a flash of sparks and smoke. Probably shorted rectifiers and filter cans. If it was a mini console or table unit it wouldn't be a bad thing to fix up, but those combos are just too damn big.

jstout66
03-11-2007, 11:46 AM
I've seen this set listed before. I thought somebody here got it the last time. Cool looking set but my least favorite of RCA chassis.... It's a CTC-24 or 25 It was a short run design for them. The tuner was awful as you always seemed to have to fine-tune it. It has one knob, and to fine-tune, you push the channel knob in to adjust.... Almost ALL other RCA's had the outer tuning ring. Those sets are really RARE now. The rest of the chassis design was similar to a CTC-16.

radotvguy
03-12-2007, 10:00 AM
I actually like combos . I have three of them , however they are just so heavy and big . Thats the problem with trying to sell them . They were great in their day but now a days no one wants nothing that huge .

kx250rider
03-12-2007, 12:37 PM
He sent me an eMail saying I could get it for little or nothing, if I could come get it with my own help.

I guess I could stick it in an empty stall in the barn, but I don't want anything to happen to it (rats/mice/dirt, etc.)

If I go get it, does anyone else want it if I keep it for awhile?

Charles

radotvguy
03-13-2007, 06:34 AM
Well if its close to you and the price is right and you got space to store it, i would grab it . These sets are becoming more scare as time goes by . And i kinda think that the kids that grew up in the 60s and 70s are going to be looking for this stuff down the line .

I kinda can luagh when i se some of these combos becuase the people think they have gold at first and want a ton of money for them but eventually they figure out that it isnt worth what they thought it was and they wind up giving it away for nothing . A few months ago i seen a Montgomery Ward combo in a antique store . It needed to be restored , nothing worked . I asked how much it was and they wanted several hundred dollars for it . I kinda laughed . Then after a while , of coarse no one bought it for that mad amount of money , the seller seen me and said he needed to unload it and i wound up getting it for 40 bucks .

bgadow
03-13-2007, 12:24 PM
A set I still wish I bought: a Westinghouse bw combo from about 1960, no lie it must have been 8' long. Everything was behind doors. I seem to recall it included a reel-to-reel. Remote control, and the remote was still with it. That thing languished in an antique mall for several years. The price finally dropped to $40; the last time I saw it they had moved it into the storage room in the back, dangerously close to the dumpster.

I remember this one guy had a junque shop in an old gas station. He had a 10-12" Admiral combo. I stopped in that place about once a month, and every time it had a different price. It went as high as $120 and as low as $60, then would go up again. I never bought it, either. In both cases I really didn't have the space.