View Full Version : Hikoc

Captain Video
03-07-2007, 05:19 PM
Have anyone ever heard of this brand? I bought a bunch of technical magazines from the early 50's that have ad's of radios and TV's of that brand. I am certain that it was not a brazilian brand, because in the ads the name is "Hikoc do Brasil S/A" like in "General Motors do Brasil" and other similar ads of foreign enterprises that were printed at that time. Was that an american company, or maybe european? Just curious.

gadget73
03-07-2007, 07:45 PM
I know they made a lot of tube testers and other test equipment.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/p/a/padgett46/hickok.htm

**edit** hm ok on closer inspection of the original post, the spelling is not the same. disregard :)

Captain Video
03-07-2007, 09:55 PM
I believe they are not the same company. The one in your link is hickok with a "c" between the i and k. The company in my ads is just hikoc, with only one "c" . Also, their logos are different ( see first two pictures ).

I was thinking that maybe it was just a trade mark. Like, the TV sets made by ITT , they were sold in the USA under the name "Capehart" , right? Here in Brazil ITT also had a factory, but their TVs and radios were sold under the name "Standard Electric" . If that is the case, there's still the question of who owned the name "Hikoc" .

The third picture have nothing to do with this thread, but I thought it was curious. In the Hikoc TV ad, we can see that they used an atomic logo. This ad on the third picture took this concept even further. Is an ad for Invictus TV sets, a brazilian brand, and you can see that there's not only a jet plane, but also an atomic explosion! No doubt the 50's are called the "Atomic Age" , they were really into this thing that the future was to be nuclear!