View Full Version : Motorola by Drexel

polaraman
10-10-2003, 09:28 PM
Saw an ad for an estate sale in another city. Said large 50's console Tv was in the sale. I really had to see what it was. Dreams of 50's color set was in my mind all night. Got up at 5am this morning at left out at 6am. Had to drive a little over 100 miles to get to the sale. Got there a hour early after having breakfast. (Coke and Snickers) Was 4th in line to view the contents of the house. In the living room sat the set. The set is a early to mid 60's B/W Motorola. Said it was designed by the furniture maker Drexel. Drexel is known for high end furniture. The set was in really nice condition but not working. Felt it was a really cool set and I had to add it to the collection. Actually the story to the wife is that it followed me home!!! hahahahahah I believe the cabinet is walnut. The wood is a very dark brown. Will have to post a picture tomorrow when I get it off the truck. Is there another out there?

Out and about today I saw a pink and black Silvertone Suburbanite, A 50T???? Philco, A philco Seventeener. Each set did not work and they wanted $150.00 for each set. Kind of high I thought. Paid much less for the Motorola. polaraman:cool:

captainmoody
10-11-2003, 07:10 AM
The Drexel cabinets were used on the high end models, I have a Motorola color combo with that maker's cabinet, It's a nice one with double doors. Also have a console stereo that has speakers that hinge out. When closed it looks like a china cabinet.
Both are well built with fairly thick veneer, They were made in Thomasville, NC. and shipped to the moto factory. No photo finish stuff.
Fairly common though.

polaraman
10-17-2003, 09:21 PM
Here is a picture of the Motorola by Drexel. It has a vertical hold problem that I will have to get to soon. It is really in nice shape!
You can see part of my Polara 500 through the screen door. Plus, my Zenith Space Command 400 behind the Motorola.

Polaraman

Kamakiri
10-18-2003, 06:29 AM
Seems to me that I had one very similar in my bedroom growing up...paid $5 for it at an auction with my parents around 1980 or so. If and when I see that exact set, it will be mine at any cost :cool: