View Full Version : trinitron find

ampegdan
02-25-2007, 12:34 AM
Hi all-
Found a Sony KV-1926R 19" Trinitron, April '87, in a thrift store today. Works absolutely perfectly. Replaces same model I've had for several years in the kitchen, whose picture developed a pulled-in look at the sides and was emitting a high-pitched ring. I really like these TV's, does anyone have any opinion on them? Not knowing much about this sort of thing, would the old one be worth repairing or should I keep certain parts for spares and chuck the rest? Also, is it possible to convert these for use through a receiver with surround? All mine has is the rabbit ears and the cable coax input.
Thanks
Dan

zenith2134
02-25-2007, 01:03 PM
Well we had a Sony KV2729R which utilized an outboard MPX decoder to run stereo through an amplifier. Cool feature. It was also from '87. Maybe yours has the MPX jack on the lower-rear right? Kinda looks like a big RCA socket.

Im not sure if there was provisions for MPX on the 19 inch set, however. Your only other option would be to run coax cable through a VCR and output line-level audio through that.

To add, I once snipped out a Tv's volume control circuit and added drop-down resistors to run RCA audio out to my preamp. I do not fully recommend this, though, because it could fry something. Hope I've helped . Nice set i'm sure.