View Full Version : New CRT installed

Charlie
10-04-2003, 06:43 PM
Got my rebuilt CRT installed today and have a really nice picture. A big difference from the original! This photo really doesn't do it justice.

I am having a weird focus problem under certain circumstances. This problem has been coming on for a while. A few weeks back, I noticed it losing it's focus for a moment and then it would come back. Would do it just every now and then. After putting in the new FBP, it lost focus a couple of times so I changed the 1V2. Didn't help any. Then, I noticed it would lose focus with certain pictures on the screen. One example is pictured below... it was the on-screen VCR menu. Another example is at the beginning of a movie when they show that is either a PG or R rating. When I would turn the color down, the picture would come back into focus. Turn the color back up and the focus craps out and also losing some of the side. Noticed the heater brightness in the 1V2 would go down with the color turned up on these pictures. Then I changed the HV rectifier and this corrected most of the problem. Now, it only loses focus during those same screen shots if the color is cranked up a lot.

Viewing programming pictures, the focus is good and sharp. Any ideas on why the menu below would cause it to crap out?

Charlie
10-04-2003, 06:45 PM
Here's the shot of the VCR menu. Also, adjusting the brightness doesn't have any affect on the problem.

Rob
10-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Charlie,

From that one nice picture it looks to me like you have the chroma turned up a bit too high. As for the blooming on the VCR blue screen, something is obviously causing too much drive. Have you set the screen controls up properly? Try turning the Kine Bias control down one notch, or maybe try adjusting the AGC control.

Nice tube! That magic eye in the radio tuner sure is bright and healthy!

Charlie
10-04-2003, 09:14 PM
Rob,

with most of the photos I have taken, the camera seems to over-saturate the color of the CRT while operating. Not sure why that happens.

Screen controls are good... makes a nice black & white picture. Kine bias is set at it's lowest setting. I tried the AGC as you suggested, but no difference. I might try the other tubes in the HV area. When I changed the 3A3, it helped a lot... but didn't cure it.

If I can't correct it after swapping some the other tubes, I'll wait till I return from the ship later to try and find the problem. Other than losing focus on the menu, it has been playing great for the past eight hours.

The eye tube is a fresh one. Found three 6E5's for a dirt cheap price on eBay a few months back. Both of my Curtis Mathes' have those in the stereo so I grabbed 'em. My other CM currently has a 1629 with the adapter in it.

drh4683
10-05-2003, 07:00 AM
Looks great! Very very nice picture! (since the bias topic was broguht up, make sure your bias is fully turned back, as you dont need to compensate for weak color guns as the tube is new) my camera does the same thing, makes immages look over saturated. You did a great job bringing it back to new!

kc8adu
10-05-2003, 09:00 AM
it is blooming due to the solid blue screen.try turning down the color and bright/cont a bit.
or disable the bluescreen on the vcr if you can.

Charlie
10-06-2003, 01:54 PM
Guys,

I joggled the chroma back and forth and found a spot in which the VCR menu screen would look "satisfactory" and still give good color on viewing a program. I wonder what is it about the blue screen that puts it under so much strain?

Didn't swap out any other tubes as of yet. As long as it plays well watching TV, i'll leave it as is. DVD's come in super-sharp on it... watched a few over the weekend.

wiseguy
10-06-2003, 08:26 PM
charlie,let the tube run for awhile,you will see a change,i would back off on contrast though,when i had my 21axp22 rebuilt and the guy told me that i would see some changes till it 'ages"it looks far better now than when i first powered it up,he was correct,it got brighter and grey scale tracking is fantastic..
I would turn down contrast to a level just before the blue screen blooms like that as you show in your pic,i can get all of my sets to do the same thing with contrast cranked up like that..depends on how high bias and screen controls are set also (or bkg)
terry

Charlie
10-06-2003, 09:33 PM
Terry,

Yes, I have noticed the need to turn down the brightness a couple of times now since I got it in there. Been watching it now for the past two or three days.

Here's a couple of shots since I've played with the controls some more. Seems a lot better.

Charlie
10-06-2003, 09:35 PM

Charlie
10-06-2003, 09:37 PM
the menu...

Cory
10-07-2003, 12:07 PM
Charlie, that picture looks great! Talk about envious :D

Cory

Charlie
10-07-2003, 12:16 PM
Thanks, Cory, and everyone else. i'm glad it worked out so well. I guess my next victim will be the CTC9. Just haven't had time to get out there and work with it. I'll get back into that one come December.

Rob
10-07-2003, 06:27 PM
Charlie,

You da man! Terrific picture.